Monday, February 3, 2014

Marking One Year

I've officially lived in Arizona more than a year and served alongside this congregation for one full year. I knew it had been a year for several reasons. My car and renter's insurance had to be paid, for one.

The scents and sounds I remember from my first days in the desert have returned. The trees in the courtyard that give off a heavenly fragrance have started blooming and I find myself breathing in their smell. All of a sudden, the doves have returned, or maybe they've just started singing, again. Either way, hearing their songs is a reminder of the holiness I encountered in this place in those very early days.

And my church remembered that I have been here a year. They marked the event in worship with a simple gift, pictured here. The 100 Grand immediately became an after worship snack. I smiled way too much at slightly cheesy puns. But the best part? They remembered.

Some of my pastor friends were shocked that a congregation remembered an anniversary of ministry, even as they celebrated alongside me when I posted pictures on Facebook. They giggled at the puns. More than a few remarked, "That's so sweet!"

Still, the most said, "I'm so happy for you that they remembered!"

For all of you who sit in pews most Sundays instead of stand in the pulpit, I'm pretty sure you know that what your pastor does matters. Even when that pastor messes up from time to time (we all do), or says some things you aren't crazy about, you know their work still matters.

We need to hear that from time to time.

Because although this call that became our job (or one of our jobs) is a beautiful, holy thing, it means we often put in long hours. Much of our work is unseen by most of the congregation. We're emotionally invested in our work. Failures and successes in the church affect us deeply. Loving and feeding the sheep--that's you--means we, too, worry when you're worried and rejoice when you rejoice.  Sometimes, the goodness and holiness of this call fades when we're caught up in everything that comes with this call.

If you take the time to say, "Your work here matters," it can make all the difference in the world.

And thanks to my church folks who did just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment